Garage doors provide a barrier between the exterior environment and our home. We don’t often think about the importance of our garage door until it breaks, leaving our home, possessions, and family exposed to the outside world.
If your garage door breaks, it can be tempting to fix it at home as quickly as possible – but that’s not always a wise choice. Locating local garage door repairs services, even ones that offer 24/7 assistance, takes much less time and causes a lot less hassle than doing a DIY repair.
Worried about the cost? Garage door repairs can be surprisingly affordable. A garage door replacement cost or a garage door installation cost is a little different because the process is more intense, but we will go over common garage door repair costs.
For now, let’s talk about a couple of standard garage door issues.
Garage doors operate using a pulley system assisted by springs to safely raise and lower the door at an appropriate speed. The springs play a major role in the overall function of your garage door. When those springs, which wear out over time, begin to fail, operating the door can become a hazard.
Broken springs can even put the door out of commission entirely since they play a major role in assisting with the weight and up-and-down functions of the door. When your springs begin to fade, or even break, it’s important to call professionals to make the repair.
Why Hire Professionals for Garage Door Spring Repair?
Getting a professional garage door repair team to come out and fix the problem is crucial for a couple of reasons:
- First off, broken springs can make your whole garage door very dangerous to be around. When the tension in the springs goes away, or when a spring breaks, there’s nothing to prevent the heavy door from falling to the floor, regardless of what’s underneath it at the time.
- Secondly, replacing garage door springs is not comparable to replacing a stripped screw or a rusted washer. You need the right tools, and it involves a degree of disassembly that most people would not be comfortable attempting. Replacing springs is a very dangerous business. It’s the type of work that has the potential for limb loss and even loss of life if you don’t take the proper precautions.
Garage Door Repair Prices: Springs
Typically, garage door spring repair costs a few hundred dollars, including parts and labor. Obviously, the prices will differ depending on who you choose and the intensity of the repairs. Generally, though, the average cost is for garage door maintenance is not as expensive as people assume.
Regardless, at the end of the day, the cost of hiring a professional to spend a little time at your house doing the repair properly far outweighs the cost of life or limb. This is especially true in the case of garage door springs. You just don’t want to mess around with them.
This philosophy extends to other parts of your garage door as well, since the whole thing is an extremely heavy, moving contraption that plays a very important role in the function of your home.
Garage Door Electrical Problems
Electrical problems frequently cause various issues for homeowners. These issues include:
- The garage door opens and closes on its own
- The garage door doesn’t open or close at all
These issues are extremely common, and there can be multiple different causes for the malfunctions. Some are repairs that can be made at home. Others are a waste of your time and energy and require the assistance of a professional.
Your first thought will likely be to check the garage door openers and the keypad to see if you need to replace the batteries. If this doesn’t work, however, it’s probably more than just your garage door opener. You may have a bigger problem on your hands.
There may be something wrong with the connections from your whole garage door system to your home’s electrical hookup. Don’t expect to be able to repair this one on your own.
Garage Door Repair Cost: Electrical
Since you’re not a trained electrician, and electrical work is not really something you can use common sense with, calling a professional will definitely save you a lot of time.
Like a spring replacement, a visit by a professional garage door service for electrical issues tends to cost homeowners a couple to a few hundred dollars.
This might seem like a lot for a disconnected wire, but that’s just the thing: You don’t know what the problem is. You can only assume. It’s not easy to deduce or use simple common sense with electrical.
So, as badly as you don’t want to spend anything but your own time and frustration, hiring a professional is the smart way to go in the long run.
If you need to know more about what to expect for your garage door repair cost, Puget Sound is home to one of the best garage door repair companies out there: Overhead Door Company of Puget Sound. They have over 100 years of experience in the garage door industry! Their trained professionals are knowledgeable, timely, and they understand the importance of doing a quick and thorough repair so you can get back to business.
Overhead Door Company of Puget Sound is available 24/7, so check out their website now to inquire about their amazing services! They’ll cover all your services, including, new garage door installation, garage door replacement, garage door opener repair, garage door replacement panels, and all other garage door repair services you can think of.
Before we go, we want to highlight a few more common issues that homeowners face that you can fix on your own.
DIY Garage Door Repairs
While there are several garage door repairs that should definitely be made by professional garage door contractors, there are many you can do yourself:
- Squeaky hinges on garage doors indicate you need to lubricate the hardware. You can find lubricant for garage doors at hardware stores or on Amazon for less than ten dollars.
- Worn-out weatherstripping is a garage door repair you can do yourself. It can be replaced with a hammer and nails. You can get weather stripping online or at a hardware store. The replacement cost for replacing weather stripping on your garage door will vary widely. There are different quality projects, and the size of your garage door will determine how much you need.
- Garage door opening part of the way, but stopping or going back down? Wipe off your sensors and make sure they’re level and aligned. They might just be out of sync. This can happen when dust and dirt accumulate on them, or when something bumps them out of place. Sensors on garage doors must be properly aligned or the door thinks someone or something is in the way.
- If your garage door is opening unevenly, you might have to clean an obstruction out of the tracks. Sometimes, when debris lodges in the tracks, the wheels on garage doors get stuck. Track repair cost is potentially nothing if it’s just a rock or some other debris. If the garage door track is busted, however, the replacement cost may be several hundred dollars.
Routine garage door maintenance can help prevent a lot of these issues, and save you from having a broken garage door.
There are many facets to garage doors, and many potential garage door repair costs you can incur, like costs for garage door opener repair, garage door panel replacement, garage door lock repair, garage door opener replacement, having your garage door painted, new garage door panels, spring repair, new torsion springs, replacing broken chains, broken extension springs, and other materials costs or replacement costs. The list goes on and on.
There are many different problems that might occur with a garage door – from electrical issues to faulty springs – and each of these problems should be handled by an expert if you want to ensure they’re fixed correctly and safely.
We know that paying someone to come out might seem unnecessary, but aside from minor issues, professionals are usually necessary. The costs aren’t usually as outrageous as your imagination might have you believe.
Besides, you don’t want to experiment and make things worse; this often leads to more complicated repairs down the road, which will likely cost even more money than if you had just hired an experienced professional in the first place.
If you’re in need of emergency repair services, or just trying to find a quality company to work with, check out Overhead Door Company of Puget Sound. You can contact them to inquire about services and garage door repair costs. They offer every garage door service imaginable, and their experienced team will treat you right.